- Part of Photonex 2015; to attend you must separately register for this event and for Photonex 2015
- 15th October 2015 | 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Ricoh Arena, Coventry
Organised by the EPSRC Centre in Ultra Precision with support from CIM-Laser, this event will take place at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry during the second day of the Photonex 2015 exhibition. This event will take place in the Jaguar Suite, separate to the main Photonex 2015 exhibition arena. Participants will have the opportunity to visit the Photonex 2015 exhibition during breaks (the exhibition is open from 10.00 am until 16.00 pm).
While laser based production processes are prevalent in many cutting and forming production processes, their application in ultra precision manufacturing are less widely known. This event aims to update industry with some of the techniques being developed by UK research groups that are applying laser methods to fine-feature (micron and sub-micron) production. It is also an opportunity for businesses to discuss the techniques they are using to solve fine feature issues and to connect with researchers who may be able to help them solve some of their current manufacturing problems.
Some of the expected topics for discussion are advances in laser techniques in the sub-micron measurement range, 3D measurement using laser interferometer techniques for layered structures, data processing of laser information; is computing currently limiting the potential application of lasers, large area measurements with lasers, resolution and speed trade-offs, lasers in ablation and additive processing and materials property limitations in the ultra precision field.
- Prof Bill O’Neill
Director of the Centre for Industrial Photonics, Institute for Manufacturing, University of Cambridge
Ultra Precision Machining Systems and Technologies
- Dr Jack Gabzdyl, SPI Lasers
Versatility of ns Pulsed Fiber Lasers for Precision Manufacturing Applications
- Karen Yu, PhD Researcher, EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Ultra Precision, Institute for Manufacturing, University of Cambridge
Control System for Ultra Precision Processing
- Frank Gäbler, Director of Marketing, Coherent Inc.
New Trends in Ultrafast Material Processing
- Andrew Kearsley, Oxford Lasers
Advances in Laser Micromachining
- Dr Renaud Jourdain, Academic Fellow, EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Laser Based Production Processes, Precision Engineering Institute, Cranfield University
An Approach for Laser Finishing of Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing Components
- Wojciech Gora, EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Laser Based Production Processes, Heriot-Watt University
Laser Finishing – Improving the Surface Quality of Additively Manufactured Components
- Dr Krste Pangovski, Photonics Systems Engineer, EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Laser Based Production Processes, Institute for Manufacturing, University of Cambridge
Investigation into the Ablation Mechanisms of Titanium, Aluminium, Copper and Brass in Percussion Drilling Operations using Ultra-High Speed Digital Holography
Delegates will be required to register for the Photonex 2015 exhibition to gain access to the venue and exhibition. There is no charge to attend Photonex 2015 or Laser Processes in Ultra Precision Manufacturing events. Further details about how to reach the venue, parking and accommodation is available on the Photonex 2015 website.